Thursday, June 13, 2019

Can’t even play Pokémon go- Social media nightmares

It is days like today that I just really struggle to stay strong.  It's a typical summer Thursday.  We got up, I made Rudy breakfast (mickey mouse waffles) I also tried making some keto crackers and cookies (they turned out okay).  Then after I cleaned up a bit, I put Emerson in the stroller and took our dog Mitsu out for her usual morning walk.  But heading out I thought I'd check Pokemon go and see if there were any cool pokemon around while we walked.  I caught a walimar and one other typical pokemon.  Then I decided to check my pokedeck and get rid of excess pokemon and see if I had any eggs hatching- just usual pokemon game maintenance.  But that's when the thought struck me that I could send Mason a gift to his pokemon avatar for his birthday.  I  remember when we laughed about him adding me as a friend.  He would not let me friend him on any social media- except Facebook which he never used or updated anyway.  Don't get me started on how Facebook likes to rip my heart out at least once or twice a month with a Mason facebook memory.  It will literally turn my day upside down.  I don't want to say 'ruin my day' because thoughts of my son are bittersweet.  Yes- they make me instantly miss him- I know the sharp burn of my tears welling up and the sick pit in my stomach all too well.  But it is still a punch to the gut every time that knocks the wind out of me.  Then I go through a little 'mini stages of grief' that starts with disbelief, sadness, guilt, and then anger all over again.  But then I am left feeling a weird sense of contentment- content that in that moment, Mason's memory could still be with me, even though he physically couldn't.  

So that's why I will keep playing Pokemon go - even though it hurts and reminds me of him.  I look at his avatar and I am filled with love for my son.  I look at the Eevee buddy he picked and think "Of course he chose Eevee- they are adorbable!"  I notice he is team Valor- just like his mom.  I made fun of and gave him a hard time about  his 'upinsmoke' name- as I knew it was a reference to weed.  Then I look at his level and I want to scream and cry- he was almost level 12.  He will never get to be a level 12.  It also wouldnt let me send him another gift for his birthday until the other gift I sent him is opened.  He will never be able to open that gift and I want to scream.  It's not fair!!!! I can't battle with him, trade pokemon or do anything else.  But just having him as my friend.  Now I am walking my dog along the sidewalk crying my eyes out and feeling like I want to throw up.
Then that of course I think of his last birthday present when he came down for his 17th birthday.  I got him a new pair of white vans.  Somehow, while we were out they got dirty and I remember how upset he was and tried so hard to clean them.  I wish I could go back and just buy him a new pair.  At the time I didnt because I thought it a huge waste of money.  If I could go back- I would.  I would change that and so many things.  But I never will be able to .
All I can do is remember what counts now.  I can try to savor each moment as much as I can with my three other babies.  I can try to focus on the love and the happiness with them.  I can hold them and be close to them because now I know my time with them is limited.  And those moments are precious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mason's 19th Birthday in Heaven

My oldest son Mason would be turning 19 today.     I have been dreading this day because I know it will open the huge gaping wound in my hea...