Friday, December 21, 2018

BABY Birthday and Bestest Birth Story!


Today, Thursday December 20, 2018 was Emerson's official due date and would have brought me to 40 weeks.  Her ACTUAL birthday was last Saturday December 20, 2018 due to a scheduled induction.  This BY FAR was my easiest (out of now 4 ) labor and deliveries.  But part of me- ALOT of me now wishes that we had decided against the scheduled induction for reasons that we did not know at the time.

The BIGGEST reason is that it may have given me more time on maternity leave.  Since i have only been working at my current position since October, I do not qualify for the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)  I was allowed to take a 30 day unpaid leave of absence and I figured that with winter break starting tomorrow (December 21st)  I would get those two weeks PLUS the 30 days.  Well- this week I found out that they are EXCLUDING those 2 weeks of holiday!  I was beyond upset.  This brings my leave ending on January 15th- and Emerson will only be a MONTH old!!!  Jamey is already looking in to hiring a nanny to come help with her while I work BUT I DON'T WANT TO!!!!  I am beginning to try to accept that I have to go back but I am beyond heartbroken- I don't want to focus on anything but my sweet lil baby!

As I said earlier, even though part of me wishes we had waited to have her because I might have gotten more leave time but also she is SO TINY!!  She only weighed 6 pounds and 3.4 ounces!!  Which may be why she was so easy to push out! I try to believe everything happens for a reason and at the right time and I could not have asked for a more beautiful miraculous birth experience than what we had last Saturday when we brought our beautiful baby girl into the world.



















Our induction was scheduled at Gulf Coast Regional Medical Center on Saturday at 4 am.  The day before, Friday, was a mess! I was trying hard to finish up work things but also mentally and physically.  So I was pretty stressed.  I am beginning to accept that I am SUper high anxiety about things and make a big deal about things that I probably shouldn't.  My brother in law drove in with his son, Beau, on Friday night to help watch our 7 year old, Rudy, while we were in the hospital.  So we tried to go to bed as early as possible but in reality I don't think I fell asleep until around 11:00 pm.  I packed a suitcase, a diaper bag and brought my bathroom stuff.   Looking back I just realized it was my last night sleeping with Emerson in my tummy!  I remember trying to look on the bright side and think how great it will be to be able to sleep on my tummy again but now that I am nursing it hurts my boobs to much to sleep that way anyway!!! LOL
So I woke up around 2:30 am and showered.  My husband got up around 3 am and showered after me.  He took my son next door to his brother's condo and he loaded up the car.  I was late as usual and stressing.  He always has to put up with my mess! LOL But we got to the hospital around 4:25. I only brought one small bag since we would end up moving rooms after delivery anyway.
It took us a minute to find the women's center.  The hospital was so cute decorated for Christmas.  :)  It was my first time in the hospital but I had heard great things.  We hadn't gotten to take a tour because the hurricane had caused them to shut down and do repairs for a while.
We found the labor and delivery area and the nurses were awesome.  They got us right into my room and settled in.  The room was nice, clean and pretty spacious.  I got into the hospital gown - it was a gross green color but hey it was comfy at least.

We didn't actually start the pitocin until around 6 am.  Before that, they had to insert my IV in my right hand- which REALLY hurt.  I think they had to do the hand because of the jade bracelet I have- it really is hard to take off and technically you aren't supposed to take it off.  I really haven't since my husband gave it to me two years ago.

They also put the monitors on my belly - which all made me feel pretty confined but luckily the nurse showed me how to unhook the monitors and wheel the IV cart in to go to the bathroom with me.  I honestly was so worried about trying to have a bowel movement early so it wouldn't come out later while pushing that I just kept trying to go as often as I could.  The nurse even asked that when she was filling out all of our information.  I asked if they still give enemas- and she laughed and said no- and that honestly about half of women will poop during the pushing phase but that they are used to it and are so discreet about cleaning it up that no one even notices.  I felt relieved but I also regretted eating that Eggplant Parmesan that we had for dinner the night before ! LOL Oh well!  I had to just go with it!


The nurse was really sweet.  We both got a  little upset when she asked if I had had any major trauma or issues in the past months and I told her that i had lost my 17 year old son.  When my husband went down to the car, she tearfully confided in me that her 15 year old daughter had just had an scary attempt at taking a bunch of pills but fortunately recovered and was okay. 

The IV machine was pretty annoying- it kept beeping that their was air in the line and the nurses had to keep resetting it.  The pitocin was definitely causing me to have contractions- but they weren't really painful.  As I said earlier they felt more like cramps and gave me the urge to use the restroom.  By 8:00 am I was starting to get pretty hungry.  My husband asked if I would mind if he went to get breakfast- I joked SURE you just go enjoy your food.  I was pretty happy with my ice chips- I am literally an ICE fanatic and am obsessed with Sonic pebble ice and they gave my a giant cup of it.
My awesome midwife, Tami, showed up a littlle after 8 and asked me about the epidural.  Her cervix check showed I was only 2cm dilated but mostly effaced.  She said she wanted to break my water and that it would be painful and since this was my 4th baby, it might progress dilation very quickly.  She recommended going ahead and getting the epidural.  I honestly wanted to try going without it if we hadn't scheduled the induction but considering how intense things can get with the pitocin I definitely wanted to have the epidural.

So the nurses notified the anesthesiologist and they got everything prepped.  Dr Jones did the epidural at 8:47 am and did a great job.  Another nurse was filling in for my main nurse, Gwen, because she was currently delivering another baby.  There was also a nursing student with her, who was very sweet (so I didnt mind) .  Dr. Jones was pretty funny, professional and straightforward.  He joked that I must not be a Panama City local since i didn't have any tattoos and I had all my teeth.  He did a great job.  The epidural- of course hurt a little- but soon I was feeling GREAT!  ( pretty high) and my right leg went completely numb.  My contractions, which were getting to about a 5 or 6 on the 10 pain scale- were diminished to just an uncomfortable squeezing.   I also had to have a catheter at the point which is not pleasant but honestly with the numbing- I didn't feel it at all.
I did have to start switching from laying on my right and left side alternating because with the pitocin - emerson's heart rate started fluctuating too much.  They stopped the pitocin to see if it would become more regulated.  I was still having contractions and dilating on my own so I don't think they ended up starting the pitocin back.
By 1:40 pm I was about 6 cm.  I wasn't in pain - just kept feeling like I had to poop but I couldn't get out of bed because of the epidural.  They told me that the pressure was actually just emerson's head being low and down and ready to go.    My husband joked that I was supposed to be good at this labor stuff and should have already had our baby by now.  All my kids like to take their time.  None of my labors can be described as 'quick'.

At about 2:53 pm, Tami checked my cervix and I was at 9 cm- I think they called it being on the lip. She seemed confident that Emerson was coming any minute so the nurses came in and broke down the table, pulled otu the stirrups and starting prepping the room.  Jamey, who does not really have the strongest stomach, came over near my left side to help- but also avoid a really vivid shot.  I REALLY wish I had asked him to video the whole thing because- I GOT TO PULL HER OUT!!
Once the table was prepped Tami and my nurse Gwen were at my feet and another nurse was at my right side.  I still could not feel my right leg AT all so they had to lift it and put it in a stirrup.
Once a contraction began, Tami instructed me to take a deep breath and push from the top of my chest all the way down to my butt.  It was crazy because I think on the second push I could feel her little body inside of me slide down!  I dont remember being able to feel that with my other littles.  It honestly got me pretty excited so by the third push I think her head started crowning.  I forgot to ask for the mirror so I could see- another thing I wish I had done.

  By the third push I knew she would be out and I started gushing tears of joy.  Tami told me to reach down and pull my baby out- and I did!  I felt her little wet body and pulled her out and up to my chest with my hands.  The baby nurse immediately started wiping her off and suctioning out her nose and mouth.  She let out a few cute cries.  We were waiting to pick her official name until we met her.  If she came out kicking and screaming we were going to name her Charlie Emerson but if she was quiet and sweet mm it would be Emerson Paige- and Emerson Paige she was!  She sweet - wide eyed and teeny!  There is no feeling in the world that comes close to having your newly born baby- who you have been dying to see and meet- who you have grown and felt and carried inside you for over 9 month, finally touching you and in front of your eyes.  I was overjoyed and in tears and so was Jamey.  They clamped her cord and continued to monitor her while the placenta was being delivered.  We all commented on how absolutely PERFECT her umbilical cord looked!  It was a perfect spiral of tissue and blue and red veins.  Honestly it was beautiful and looked more like some kind of tool or machine part than an organic body part.  Once the cord was cut- (im pretty sure that Jamey cut it lol) She was brought to the incubator next to my bed and they performed her apgar and other tests.  She had a high apgar score and weighed 6 pounds and 3.4 ounces.  She was 19 inches long and had a full head of brown hair.  I tried nursing a bit and she seemed to latch on fairly well.  A lactition specialist came in and gave me some good tips.  Just as I was nursing - Jamey's family came in to visit and brought my son to see his sister for the first time.
After that was a little of a blur.  I didn't have any tearing or stitches but I was not able to move because of the numbness.  Emerson got to stay with us the whole time.  We kept her wrapped up so that her temp could raise- I believe it was around 97.8 so they wanted me to make sure she was warm.  Because my leg still had no feeling, Gwen my nurse told me that we would have to wheel my bed up to the postpartum recovery room- Room 17, and then switch beds when there.  So with Em in tow we wheeled up to the room which seemed brand new.  Both rooms were great- the only complaint I have heard is that there is no bath  only a shower in the postpartum rooms.
I was starving at that point!

My first meal after delivery was chicken parmesan with green beans .  They were pretty bland but I scarfed them all down!  My husband ended up taking my son home to get him settled in instead of staying the night.  I really didn't get feeling back in my leg until around 10:00 pm.  So the first time I went to the bathroom on my own, we had to use this rolling shower chair.  I got to cuddle and nurse my sweet emerson all night until around 12:00 when they took her to the nursery to have her first bath.  We didn't sleep much that night.  The nurses come in every 3 hours or so to check vitals and see if the baby is nursing/eating.  I got to be a pro at swaddling really fast!
The next morning i woke up, took a shower and had some of the eggs and sausage for breakfast.  Once again- the eggs were pretty good but the sausage was pretty bad.  I was still hungry so I ate it!  My husband called and asked what he could bring.  I asked him for a blow dryer and some snacks and my creamer!

He came a little later on with his brother and family and my son to visit.  I was having some really intense contractions every time that Emerson nursed but besides that I felt really good.  I did use the ice packs in the giant mesh underwater that you always get and I brought some tucks pad from home.  Those were amazing and really helped with what little swelling and pain I had 'down there'.  Once again this was a HUGE difference from when my son was born.  He weighed almost 9 pounds and I was pushing for almost an hour!  I am pretty sure I had some tears too- so my recovery was really hard- especially compared to this one.


When my midwife Tami came to check on me , we asked about possibly getting discharged early.  She said as long as the baby had all her testing done that I was good to go.  She prescribed me some 800 mL motrin for the cramping and pain but honestly I have yet to pick it up.  I did take some regular advil when I got home but only the first two days or so.

We got the OK to be discharged around 7 pm!  Em had to have her beryllium? tests done and her pediatrician had to see her again.  She passed her hearing screening and we had her sweet newborn pictures done.  I love them all except one of me where I took tired/high!  LOL
Overall, we had an AMAZING experience and could not be happier with our doctors, nurses and the facility.  I plan on sending an announcement with thankyou cards to my nurses.  It's so crazy that you get to share such a miraculous and intimate experience with these people (the nurses) and might never see them again.  I will get to see Tami again in 6 weeks but I feel like she is family!  We are so happy to be home, settling in to a routine and that Emerson is healthy and doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mason's 19th Birthday in Heaven

My oldest son Mason would be turning 19 today.     I have been dreading this day because I know it will open the huge gaping wound in my hea...