Saturday, January 5, 2019

New year Goals and baby news

Today Emerson is officially 16 days old! We celebrated New Year's at Pier Park for the Beach Ball drop, which turned out great! 




The ball drop was at 8 pm instead of midnight which was really convenient for us.  I rarely stay up past 10 pm, although bed time has gotten a little later by the night. 
 I need to get used to waking up early again like - 7 am because I have to be back at work on the 15th!  I am so upset! Emerson will only be a month old- it is literally the same day as her one month doctor check up.  Today Emerson and I slept in until almost 9 am because she had a little bit of a rough night.  She just seemed restless and would not really eat or latch on.  She would just wake up and fuss like she wanted something.  I am guessing maybe she had gas or maybe even congestion.  Either way, I was up with her at midnight, 3 am , 4 am , 7 am and so on.  
Jamey watched her yesterday for the first time while I went to go get my hair done and it was a disaster!  He said she cried almost the whole time and would not really latch on to the bottle.  I was gone about 3 hours and it had me worried.  We are trying to get her used to people other than me (which is devastating for me!!)  I am also worried about my milk supply getting low because I will be pumping instead of nursing.  So I heated up some breast milk and tried to offer her the bottle today and she seemed to latch on and drink well.  It could be because I am offering it to her and I was trying a different bottle and nipple than Jamey was.  So I will have to have him try it again while I am home as I can assist. 
I am excited to plan for the new year considering that with baby Em, there are so many new things to get used to again.  I got this great Law of Attraction Planner last year and realized that it was time to order a new one!  I ended up ordering the panda planner instead so I could try something new but when it got here, I realized that it was only a 90 day planner- 3 months!  ?  So I may  send it back and get the law of attraction one instead since it is a yearly planner.  
I wanted to set some new goals for the year- instead of resolutions.  I think goals are a little more effective and longer lasting.    I know I want my overreaching theme this year to be POSITIVITY and PATIENCE.  I tend to get really negative and think the worst in most situations as a default and I hate it.  I want to change my default setting to more positive expectations so that i am not sabotaging new opportunities and experiences this year. 
 I turned to a great audible book that I have read and reread many times called, "The Power of Self Confidence" by Brian Tracey.  https://www.briantracy.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=99842083&utm_content=29531053003&network=g&utm_term=brian%20tracy&gclid=CjwKCAiAyMHhBRBIEiwAkGN6fJtxzJooZ2CRhJs9HY98fVyxL8sbUgvtGgLcVwr935rFM8rr-CJ8MBoCrBoQAvD_BwE



In Chapter 2- Purpose and Personal Power, (at the 29:34 mark if you are listening to the audio book) the author guides you through a goal setting brain storming exercise. 
He starts by instructing you to " Imagine that you just won a million dollars- what would you do, where would you go? What is your perfect life ? "

I tried to address the questions in the exercise in order to form a set of goals for the new year.

Q1:  DREAM JOB:  What would I do if I could do anything? 
A1:  I would open and run a pottery studio . I might upgrade my youtube channel and make more videos more often and Teach body pump classes on a regular basis.  I also really love writing children's books and illustrating.  I have written the manuscript for my third book and need to start the illustrations. :)



Q2: Where would I live if I could live anywhere? I think I would like to live in somewhere in south Florida like Miami . Although I have never even been to Miami I know if is warm all the time  and the Art Basel art show is held there annually in December.  I could also have my own art studio, live near the beach and close to the keys.   

Q3: What relationships would I want ? 
I would want my Family to live close . I would help my mom move down and encourage my daughter Maddie to move down as well.

Then he recommends setting goals in each of the 6 categories below:

  1. Financial and material goals - money and things .  With Baby Em, I really want and need a new car - an SUV with 4 doors and more room. I hate to have another car payment since my 2010 Toyota Yaris is paid off and in good working condition but I dread having to try to get Emerson's carseat in and out of the back- since their are only two doors.  The SUVs I really like are : the 2017 black Jeep Compass https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+compass&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiP7dP81dTfAhURd6wKHeJGCqAQ_AUoAXoECBUQAQ&biw=375&bih=630.  

  1. Family and personal goals - relationships . I really want to have a weekly date night with hubs and communicate  better.  I complain a lot about us not doing things together- even something as simple as take the dog for a walk together would allow us to talk and spend time together.  As it is, we make dinner or go get dinner and then might watch one thing together before it is time for me to put the kids to bed and go to bed myself.  
  2. Self improvement/ educational goals.  I really want to take grad level art classes - I have one 3 hour credit since taking on an art intern in St. Augustine.  I am just not sure how this will fit in to taking care of Emerson.  I honestly do not like leaving her side for a second so unless it was a self study sort of online class- it really does not appeal to me at the moment.     I also want to improve my parenting skills especially since one of my overreaching themes was patience.  I want to really re-listen to drama free discipline and put the ideas into practice.  I also just want to incorporate more of a growth mindset with Rudy and daily physical love and affection.  It's so easy to meet my kiss/hug/affection quoata with Emerson- I literally kiss her and hold her most hours of the day but now that Rudy is bigger, sometimes I go through entire days where I realize that I haven't hugged or kissed him that day.  I think it is important and strive to do this more. 
  3. Spiritual goals - I want to pray every morning and night . I also would like read the Bible at night 3 times a week . We have been visiting the St. Andrews Baptist Church - and it might be time to officially join the church and get the kids dedicated. 
  4. Health / fitness goals . I would like to lose 15 pounds.  I did lose some weight just in the hospital having Emerson but I am no where near what I was before I had her.  I was in great shape- I was running at least 4 + miles every morning and a long run on the weekends.   I would  like to speed the recovery or getting back into shape by cutting carbs,  counting calories with my fitness pal and running 6 days a week / body pump 3 days a week .  I also think it's good to drink the Quest Protein shakes 3 times a week - kind of as a meal replacement. I definitely want to make it back to the Boston Marathon too!!  


  1. Social community goals - After losing Mason last year, it is a no brainer that I want to volunteer and be more involved in suicide prevention.  I would also like to help with the Council on Aging. The kids and I did meals on wheels one summer in St. Augustine and loved it. 

Once you have answered those questions and addressed each category- then you have to Prioritize and choose the most important goal.  
That goal and all goals need to be Measurable and time bounded . Your Major goal needs a deadline and it can be broken down into smaller goals with separate deadlines.  I am thinking that my major goal might be to finish my third book illustrations.  Each book seems to get better and better so I am hoping the third will be the best!  I have been self publishing on Amazon.  After China, the fourth book will be Greek and Roman art and and may be final book will be about Mask making- this could be Africa- so Robot could visit Africa or Oceania  (New Zealand Tiki Masks)  .
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Mason's 19th Birthday in Heaven

My oldest son Mason would be turning 19 today.     I have been dreading this day because I know it will open the huge gaping wound in my hea...